Monday, June 11, 2012

Processing II

So in a previous post I discussed how drawing is like a process.  Everyone has their own way of drawing, and I've noticed the "processes" can be and are what make the drawing.  It gives each piece their own feel and each piece their uniqueness about them.  I may or may not have this design already posted on here, I can't remember, but I have a great example of how I started with nothing and made it into something.

 Here is the simple outline, believe it or not this is actually a tattoo design.  He wanted a Yamaha R6 and a Suzuki GSXR "peeling out side by side".  So, I found a couple of images of the bikes, and traced a general outline of the bikes.  Yes, traced.  Vital for tattoo designs, you want the subjects to be totally proportional as you can get them to be.
 Now the fun part.  As you see I've just began with the shading starting on the left.  I don't know why, I just seem to go from right to left as a habit.  As well as gotten some smoke in the background to give that "peeling out" effect, along with the burn out marks.
 Almost done with the Yamaha R6!  Being vehicles and shiny, you gotta keep in mind where your "light source" is in the picture.  I just kept it how it was in the pictures I traced.  As for the shading, it was virtually extreme light or dark.  Hardly any medium between them (grey).
 I can tell you that this was a pain in the ass trying to shade everything in just right, but it was mainly the tires and the rims I had the most issues with.  Then with some of the finer smaller details of the mechanics.  I couldn't fit every detail in there, but with those types of things you want to get the major functioning parts that people will recognize, especially if it's vital towards the subjects ability to function in real life.
 Now on to the GSXR.  Although they may look the same, both being crotch rockets and all, drawing them in detail like this really makes one realize the differences between makes and models.  It was pretty cool seeing how they were different and shading in over the contours of their bodies.
Finally finished!  The scanner that is provided to me kind of sucks, but I make do.  You can't really see the smoke in the background but hey, you and I know it's there.  With a photo editing software, I usually make the contrast of the picture a little stronger so the lights and darks are emphasized to my liking-because I wish I could do that in the first place but am too scared.  This is indeed one of my favorite designs and drawings.  Quite a few other people seem to like it as well, which always makes me feel good.

I hope this works a little better towards what I was trying to get at in my previous post about the "process" of drawing.

No comments:

Post a Comment